First time working with knits on your sewing machine? Danica recommends using a ballpoint needle (“jersey” or “stretch” needles are comparable) and setting your machine to a narrow zigzag stitch or reinforced straight stitch (2.5-3 mm length). Test on a piece of scrap fabric and lower your bobbin tension if adjustments are needed. Our friend Cheryl at SewCanDo also has some great tips here!
Read on for Danica’s instructions to sew your very own Yoga Headband.
Yoga Headband Tutorial
-¼ yd of your favorite City Knit fabric
-5” of 1.5” wide Elastic
-Marking Pen or Tailor’s Chalk
Main Headband Piece: 8″ x 14″ rectangle
Elastic Casing Piece: 3.5″ x 7″ rectangle
1.5″ wide elastic: 5″ long piece
- STITCH MAIN HEADBAND PIECE: Take the Main Headband piece and fold in half lengthwise (long sides together), right sides together. Stitch a ¼” seam, leaving a 2” gap near one end.
- GATHER SHORT ENDS OF HEADBAND PIECE: On the short ends of the main headband piece, use the longest stitch length on your machine to sew two lines of basting stitches at ¼” and ½” from the edge. Make sure to leave long thread tails.
- CREATE ELASTIC CASING: Take the Elastic Casing piece and fold in half lengthwise, right sides together. Stitch a ¼” seam.
- PUT ELASTIC IN CASING: Use safety pin to turn Elastic Casing piece tube right side out (pin safety pin to one edge and thread safety pin through tube). Then pin safety pin to one short end of the elastic, and thread elastic through Elastic Casing. Scrunch Elastic Casing over the elastic until ends of the elastic are even with the end of the casing.
- PUT ELASTIC IN HEADBAND AND GATHER: Place covered elastic into the main headband piece (your main headband piece should still be wrong-side out). Scrunch headband piece over elastic until the ends are aligned. Then pull basting threads evenly until the main headband piece’s short ends are evenly gathered around elastic. Pin in place and stitch at ⅜”.
- TURN HEADBAND RIGHT-SIDE OUT: Turn the headband right side out by pulling the covered elastic out of the 2” gap in the main headband seam.
- HANDSTITCH GAP CLOSED: Using a ladder stitch, hand stitch the 2” gap closed.
Enjoy your Yoga Headband!