We are thrilled to participate in APQ’s One Million Pillowcase Challenge‘s Blog Hop! Timeless Treasures is a proud sponsor of this amazing program. Scroll down to the bottom of this post for a full list of designers and companies participating in this blog hop.
American Patchwork & Quilting is hosting a 24-hour Sew-a-Thon at their headquarters in Des Moines on September 19-20, and shops around the country are participating as remote locations as well (find one near you here!). We thought it would be fun to host our own version of a sew-a-thon right here in our office, throughout the month of August!
Our PR Coordinator, Hayden, demonstrated APQ’s free Roll It Up pattern to staff members with varying levels of sewing experience. (You can choose from 43 free pillowcase patterns on their website here.) Employees then volunteered during their lunch breaks throughout the month to sew a pillowcase for donation! Some even brought the project home to share with friends and family; our data entry manager, Monica, brought fabric to her sewing students and came back with a nice big stack of finished pillowcases. Staff members’ daughters participated while visiting the office on summer break. Hayden taught her mom how to make a pillowcase one rainy Saturday afternoon. The enthusiasm has been contagious!
Right now, we have 38 pillowcases ready to donate to our friends at Conkerr Cancer, just in time for their Miles of Pillowcases Smiles campaign in honor of Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. We are expecting to have even more to donate by the end of this month and beyond; lots of Timeless staff, friends and family have enjoyed helping out so much that they plan to continue sewing for this wonderful cause!
Conkerr Cancer’s goal for the Miles of Pillowcase Smiles event is to make a “pillowcase smile” for each of the 44,000 children undergoing treatment, or 20 miles of smiles (one mile of pillowcases equals 2,112 pillowcases smiles). In 2013, they sewed 64,000 pillowcases (30 miles of smiles)! Each chapter delivers the handmade pillowcases to their local hospital(s) as they need inventory throughout the year. Check out ConkerrCancer.org to learn more about this event, of which we are also a proud sponsor. There are lots of resources on their site to help YOU get involved!
We’re so happy to have made some pillowcases smiles, and hope you will make some too.
One Million Pillowcase Challenge Blog Hop Participants
· Alison Glass (http://alisonglass.com/blog)
· American Patchwork & Quilting (www.allpeoplequilt.com/blog)
· Barb and Mary of Me and My Sister Designs (http://www.meandmysisterdesigns.com/blog/)
· The Benartex Design Team: Sew in Love with Fabric (www.sewinlovewithfabric.blogspot.com)
· Debby Kratovil (http://debbykratovilquilts.blogspot.com/)
· Edyta Sitar of Laundry Basket Quilts (http://www.laundrybasketquilts.net/blog/)
· Heidi Pridemore (http://heidipridemore.blogspot.com)
· How To Sew (www.howtosew.com)
· Jennifer Paganelli of Sis Boom (http://www.sisboom.com/blog/)
· Joanna Figueroa of Fig Tree Quilts (http://figtreequilts.typepad.com/my_weblog/)
· Karrie Winters of Freckled Whimsy (http://www.freckledwhimsy.com/)
· Kelle Boyd of Ann Kelle (http://www.annkelle.com/category/blog/)
· Linda Carlson (www.lindacarlsonquilts.com)
· Lori Mason (http://www.lorimasondesign.com/news/)
· Modern Quilt Studio (http://craftnectar.com/)
· Nicole Daksiewicz of Modern Handcraft (http://modernhandcraft.com/)
· Northcott: Patti’s Patchwork (www.pattispatchwork.com)
· Shannon Fabrics: My Cuddle Corner (http://shannonfabrics.com/blog/index/)
· Tammy Silvers (http://www.tamarinis.typepad.com)
· Timeless Treasures: Sew Timeless (http://www.ttfabrics.com/blog/) YOU ARE HERE
· Valori Wells (http://www.valoriwells.com/blog/)
· Verna Mosquera of The Vintage Spool (http://freespiritfabric.blogspot.com/)
· Wendy Sheppard of Ivory Spring (http://ivoryspring.wordpress.com/)
· About the 1 Million Pillowcase Challenge – allpeoplequilt.com/millionpillowcases
· Free pillowcase patterns – allpeoplequilt.com/millionpillowcases/freepatterns/index.html
· Suggested Charities – allpeoplequilt.com/millionpillowcases/wheretodonate/index.html
· Conkerr Cancer – conkerrcancer.org
· Sew-a-Thon info – allpeoplequilt.com/sewathon
· Sew-a-Thon Facebook page – facebook.com/sewathon
· Sew-a-Thon Shops – allpeoplequilt.com/magazines-more/24-hour-sew-thon-shops
· Official Social Hashtag – #APQSewathon