We’re excited to bring you another Team Timeless tutorial! This month’s project was designed by Stacey Day, an award-winning quilter, pattern writer, designer, and the author of “Child’s Play Quilts”. Her work has appeared in numerous quilt and trunk shows across North America, and she has won ribbons for her quilts at AQS Lancaster, the Canadian National Juried Show, and more. You can follow the quilty happenings on her website, staceyinstitches.com, or on Instagram @staceyinstitches. We are so happy to have her as a part of Team Timeless!
Stacey designed this cheery, playful quilt using our Crayon Party collection, and we love how fun it turned out! Keep reading for a complete tutorial on how to create your own Scribble Quilt.
Finished size: 54″ x 70″
- 1/2 yd of Soho-White
- 1/2 yd of Gail-C6338-Royal (Unicorns)
- 1/2 yd of Gail-C6341-Multi (Stacked Cats)
- 1/2 yd of Gail-C6344-Bright (Puzzle Pieces)
- 1/2 yd of Gail-C6339-Multi (Rainbow Squiggle)
- 1/2 yd of Gail-C6340-Black (Mini Hearts)
- 1/2 yd of Gail-C6342-Black (Black Dots)
- 1/2 yd of Gail-C6342-White (White Dots)
- 1/2 yd of Gail-C6343-Black (Swirls and Stars)
- 1/2 yd of Hatch-C2959-Silver
- 1/2 yd of Spin-C5300-White
- 1/2 yd of Spin-C5300-Silver
- 1/2 yd of Fun-C8224-Linen
- Backing – 3 1/4 yds, fabric of your selection
- 1 copy of the triangle template (click here to download), printed at actual size
- Matching thread
From Soho-White, Hatch-C2959-Silver, and Spin-C5300-White, cut:
(4) 5 1/2″ x 17 1/2″
(4) 5 1/2″ x 7 1/2″
(4) 3 1/8″ x 6 1/4″, stack right side up in pairs. Cut (2) from top left to bottom right corner to make (4) Left Half Rectangle Triangles [HRT]. Cut (2) from top right to bottom left to make (4) Right HRT. (See Figure 1)
(2) 5 1/2″ x 17 1/2″
(2) 5 1/2″ x 7 1/2″
(1) 3 1/8″ x 6 1/4″, stack right side up in pairs. Cut (1) from top left to bottom right corner to make (2) Left HRT. Cut (1) from top right to bottom left to make (2) Right HRT.
From the Fun-C8224-Linen, cut:
(14) 3 1/2″ x 5 3/4″
From the Gail-C6340-Black, cut:
(7) 2 1/4″ x WOF
From the remaining prints, cut:
(2) 2 3/4″ x 3″
(2) 5 1/2″ x 25 1/2″
- Fold each Fun-C8224-Linen 3 1/2″ x 5 3/4″rectangle and each 2 3/4″ x 3″ print piece in half widthwise. Finger press to mark the center of each piece.
- Pin the center of a 2 3/4″ x 3″ print piece to the center of each Fun-C8224-Linen 3 1/2″ x 5 3/4″ rectangle and sew them together. Press towards the Fun-C8224-Linen.
- Place the triangle template on top of a piece from step 2, matching the line on the template with the stitch line of the piece. Cut the piece to match the template. Repeat for each piece to make (14) A Units.
(See Figure 2)
- Sew a Right HRT to the right side of each Unit A piece. Press towards the HRT, then sew a matching Left HRT to the left side of the Unit A Piece. Trim and square to 5 1/2″ x 5 1/2″ (See Figure 3). Use the table below to make the background/print pairings exactly as shown in the quilt image.
- Sew the finished A Units to the end of a 5 1/2″ x 25 1/2″ print rectangle, matching the prints. Press towards the rectangles.
- Sew a 5 1/2″ x 7 1/2″ rectangle to the left side of each B Unit, and a 5 1/2″ x 17 1/2″ rectangle to the right side of each B Unit as shown, matching the background print used, to make a Crayon Block. (See Figure 4)
- Sew the Crayon blocks together in the order shown on the pattern cover. Press the seams towards the bottom of the quilt.
- Make a backing approx 60″ x 80″. Layer the backing, batting, and quilt top; baste the layers together and quilt as desired. Trim the batting and backing even with the quilt top.
- Sew the Gail-C6340-Black binding strips end to end using diagonal seams to make one continuous piece. Fold in half wrong sides together and press the length.
- Sew the binding to the quilt top, mitering the corners. Turn the binding to the back of the quilt and hand-stitch in place.
We love how bright and playful this quilt turned out! Remember to tag us with your finished projects using @sewtimeless and #timelesstreasures.