It’s time for our second Team Timeless project! This tutorial is brought to you by Nicole Daksiewicz, designer, quilter, and the owner of Modern Handcraft. Nicole’s focus is on modern design and expression through color. She has been collaborating with Timeless Treasures since the start of her quilting career, and we are thrilled to have her in the Team Timeless line-up as well!
Nicole designed this bright and cheerful pillow using our Polka Dot basics line. This versatile project can be made in any color palette, giving you endless options to get creative! We love the flirty pink palette that Nicole chose for hers.
X Marks the Spot Floor Pillow
Finished Pillow size: 25” x 25”
- 3/8 yd of Soho-White
- 1/2 yd of Dot-C1820-Red
- 1/3 yd of Dot-C1820-Magenta
- 1/4 yd of Dot-C1820-Bubblegum
- 1/2 yd of Dot-C1820-Peach
- 26” x 26” Fusible fleece
- Coordinating thread
- 26” x 26” Pillow form
- From your Soho Solid in white cut (5) 2.5” x WOF strips
- Subcut into (72) 2.5” x 2.5” squares
- For your envelope backing cut (1) rectangle measuring 18” x 26” from your Red Dot fabric and (1) rectangle measuring 18” x 26” from your Peach Dot
- From the Red Dot fabric cut (8) 5” x 5” squares
- From the Magenta Dot fabric cut (12) 5” x 5” squares
- From the Bubblegum Dot fabric cut (8) 5” x 5” squares
- From the Peach Dot fabric cut (8) 5” x 5” squares
- Place (2) 2.5” x 2.5” squares on opposite corners of a 5” square. Mark white squares if needed with a fabric pen or pencil from corner to corner.
- Sew from corner to corner.
- Trim the outside corner,1/4” from sewn line.
- Press seams.
- Continue steps 1-4 for remaining white and dot squares.
- Join 4 blocks to create an X block
- Sew top pair and bottom pair together using a 1/4” seam allowance, press seams.
- Sew top and bottom half of X block together, press seams.
- Trim block to 9” square.
Assembling pillow front:
- Choose desired layout for finished X blocks, in a 3 x 3 block layout.
- Sew together into rows, press seams. Join rows to complete section. Press seams.
- Fuse the fusible fleece to the back of the pillow front and quilt as desired. I used my walking foot to quilt straight lines 3/4” apart in white thread.
Finishing your pillow:
- Take one of your pieces of pillow backing material measuring 18” x 26” and press under 1/2” along one long edge. Repeat to form a double-fold hem and top stitch in place close to lower fold. Repeat with second piece of backing fabric.
- With your pillow front facing right-side-up, lay your two pieces, that now measure 26” x 17” right side-down on the pillow front aligning the raw edges with the two hems overlapping in the center.
- Pin or clip around the edges and sew around the outer edge of the pillow. Finish the seam allowance with a zigzag stitch along the outer edge.
- Clip corners and turn your pillow right-side-out through the gap in the back. Carefully poke out the corners and press to finish.
We love how this pillow turned out! What colors are you planning for your version? Don’t forget to tag us with your finished projects using @sewtimeless and #timelesstreasures.